Well, I started counting down to this trip at the first meeting, when there were exactly 100 days left. Now there are only seven, which means that I'm quite excited, and also, that somehow I managed to avoid posting this for 93 days. I'll make it long to justify the wait.
I'd say the thing I'm most excited about is simply travelling to Africa. I've never been to a Third World country (I hope that's politically correct. "Developing"?), and I think it's going to be very important to see how many small American luxuries I take for granted. On top of this, of course I want to absorb the local culture, I love trying new foods, and I'm can't help but notice that for many, many artists and designers, the first trip to Africa changes everything. Even my favorite band have African influences.
I think I'm most worried about coming off like a snobbish, stuck-up Westerner at best, and at worst, someone whose idea of what's important in life is totally skewed. Culture shock works in both directions. That, and having to use my prescription travelers' anti-diarrhea medicine.
The skill I bring to the class: typography? I think there are other graphic designers on the trip. I guess my skill would have to be a general technical knowhow; I'll be the one trying to get us to incorporate programming into whatever it is we'll be designing.
A secret about me? On full moons, I change from a righty to a lefty. Not really, but why spoil it?
As for preconceived notions, travelling to a place with such a different culture will really change how I view the world at large. My picture of the globe is about to expand dramatically, I think.
Hi there everyone.
ReplyDeleteWell, I started counting down to this trip at the first meeting, when there were exactly 100 days left. Now there are only seven, which means that I'm quite excited, and also, that somehow I managed to avoid posting this for 93 days. I'll make it long to justify the wait.
I'd say the thing I'm most excited about is simply travelling to Africa. I've never been to a Third World country (I hope that's politically correct. "Developing"?), and I think it's going to be very important to see how many small American luxuries I take for granted. On top of this, of course I want to absorb the local culture, I love trying new foods, and I'm can't help but notice that for many, many artists and designers, the first trip to Africa changes everything. Even my favorite band have African influences.
I think I'm most worried about coming off like a snobbish, stuck-up Westerner at best, and at worst, someone whose idea of what's important in life is totally skewed. Culture shock works in both directions. That, and having to use my prescription travelers' anti-diarrhea medicine.
The skill I bring to the class: typography? I think there are other graphic designers on the trip. I guess my skill would have to be a general technical knowhow; I'll be the one trying to get us to incorporate programming into whatever it is we'll be designing.
A secret about me? On full moons, I change from a righty to a lefty. Not really, but why spoil it?
As for preconceived notions, travelling to a place with such a different culture will really change how I view the world at large. My picture of the globe is about to expand dramatically, I think.
Very excited,
Jake